High School Work Experience?

Hi Everyone! I worked as an optometric assistant throughout high school and during the summer following my freshman year of college. I conducted routine vision tests abd performed glaucoma screenings (measure intraocular pressure with a tonometer). I performed examinations of the retina and took retinal pictures using an ophthalmoscope with a camera. I also performed secretarial duties such as submitting insurance claims, assisting patients with contact lens ordering, and instructing patients in contact lens handling.

What do you guys think? Should I list that as Patient Care Experience? I worked there for a long time and interacted with patients every day. I have about 1400 hours from that job.

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi Everyone! I worked as an optometric assistant throughout high school and during the summer following my freshman year of college. I conducted routine vision tests abd performed glaucoma screenings (measure intraocular pressure with a tonometer). I performed examinations of the retina and took retinal pictures using an ophthalmoscope with a camera. I also performed secretarial duties such as submitting insurance claims, assisting patients with contact lens ordering, and instructing patients in contact lens handling.

What do you guys think? Should I list that as Patient Care Experience? I worked there for a long time and interacted with patients every day. I have about 1400 hours from that job.

It would for sure count as healthcare experience. I would assume that it would count as "Direct Patient Care Experience"... but alas... it is all in the eye of the beholder. The schools you are applying to would have to "count" it as direct PCE. So I would call the schools you are interested in and see what they think.

It would for sure count as healthcare experience. I would assume that it would count as "Direct Patient Care Experience"... but alas... it is all in the eye of the beholder. The schools you are applying to would have to "count" it as direct PCE. So I would call the schools you are interested in and see what they think.

Thanks for the quick response! That's a great idea- I'll add it to my list of questions to ask them :) I do have other PCE in clinical hypertension research and as a CNA so I don't need to list it as PCE but if it is then the more PCE I have the better!

Thanks for the quick response! That's a great idea- I'll add it to my list of questions to ask them :) I do have other PCE in clinical hypertension research and as a CNA so I don't need to list it as PCE but if it is then the more PCE I have the better!

Archived