Pharmacist to PA

Hello. I graduated in 2011 with a PharmD. It's difficult to find a job as a pharmacist, due to the number of pharmacy schools we have now, and that continue to open. I'm considering PA school as a backup/career switch. I've searched for 1 year PA programs. Are there any programs you know of that are faster than 2 years? And, how is the PA market?

and not saying it applies to all pharmacists, but the majority complain about the pt contact involved with giving a flu shot. Most of them are not cut out for being a PA. very different roles. If you are worried about jobs in the retail pharmacy market, do a residency and look into getting a hospital gig.

If you went to PA school you would dance through the pharmacology education with out having a crack a book. OK, maybe you'd have to crack it once or twice. Your knowledge of human physiology and medicine is expansive, so going PA would be simple. I know of no accelerated PA programs. Even if you are a foreign-trained MD (who lacks a US medical license) you cannot accelerate through PA school.

Sorry, but them's the breaks.

There are a few Pharm-D/PA combined programs (UW has one!) But you would have to build a time machine and go back to the last bit of your second year of pharm school.

Sorry 21-32 months is the range for PA school for anyone... even my FMG neurosurgeon Classmate who could not get a US residency and could not remain (alive) in his native country... so his PA school was just as long as mine.

Cheers!

• 4 years later...

I am a pharmacist who has practiced in a clinical setting for several years as part of a health care team.  I am also looking at attending Physician Assistant School, but I hardly see it as a "fallback."  I'd give careful consideration as to why you are looking to make this change.  I can sympathize with the oversaturation of the pharmacist market, but running to another career to "escape" is insulting to those who pursue the PA career with great passion and dedication to patient care.  If an admission committee gets wind of your thoughts on a PA career as  "fallback" you will have no chance for admission.

Please be respectful of our fellow health care workers.  We all work for the patient and we are all crucial to optimum care.  A pharmacist can certainly bring a necessary skill set with him/her to PA school, but you still have to have the hunger to work as  PA and understand what a PA does. 

Good luck.  I know its rough out there for pharmacists.

• Upvote 3

• 3 years later...

I am a Pharmacist as well with over 20 years of experience--15 years as a clinical pharmacist in busy hospitals and 4 years owning my own pharmacy.  What I love about the PA profession is that you can work directly with patients which is missing from a Pharmacist career.  I wish to become a PA and a 2 year program would be perfect. 

My question relates to UC Davis:  will I have to take any pre-reqs or can I just apply to the program? 

I appreciate everyone's time and commitment to the PA career.

Just because I work “in the medical field” doesn’t mean I can skip whole years of an entire disciplines training.  I’m a PA, can I skip the pre-reqs and first year of pharm school?  No?  How about PT school?  Nursing school?  Vet school?  
Don’t let the term “midlevel” or “assistant” fool you.  Our training is no less (and no more) of a skilled highly trained profession than any other.  

Think about this:  an electrician knows a lot about wiring.  She might (and no doubt does) know a bit more than the average Joe about general construction.  But I certainly wouldn’t let her start building houses, because there’s a lot of extra stuff in there.  

Also, I’ve know some clinical pharmacists who could give me an ebm, well written summary of statins or blood pressure meds…I’ve also known some I wouldn’t trust to give me dosing on Tylenol.  

• 2 weeks later...