On 6/30/2024 at 9:39 AM, User123456789 said:

Hi! I am also in the program second-year second semester—the very first cohort and about to graduate!—and I wanted to sent good vibes to y’all! And to the person asking about clinical sites, there is no “list”. Clinical sites are ever changing and the ones we have affiliations this year will be different than the second cohort will as well as your cohort. Try not to get too hung up on where your clinical sites will be because you need to get through didactic first before you can get to clinicals—didactic is TOUGH. Also, there is a good change you will have to travel for some of your clinical sites. Be rational with your thinking of where you live at. Just because there is a hospital right down the road or various offices does not mean they have capacity to take you on as a student, are allowed to have affiliations with Pitt due to contract reasons with other schools, or simply may not meet qualification standards through our clinical team. For example, I live in SW VA and I had my first three rotations in VA where I could stay at my house (two required a 1-1.5 hour commute there and back), rotations 4-6 I’m in Florida for, and rotations 7-8 I’ll be back in Virginia, with rotation 7 requiring me to commute 1-1.5 hours there and back. So, if traveling is not an option what so ever for you, I would really consider whether this program is for you because there is no guarantee you won’t have rotations that require you to travel just due to geographics of where you live and the various other logistics of securing clinical sites. 

Again, best of luck and feel free to ask any questions! 

I'm in SVWA area, too!! I'm currently in Blacksburg (working in Radford), but just accepted a seat for Jan 2025. Where are your local rotations? And what are your plans/what did you do for the ones you have to travel for? (Airbnbs, hotels, etc)

2 hours ago, DaisyB said:

Just got my interview invite this morning for July 18! I got interviews for both in-person and hybrid programs. I applied at the end of May. They sent me "your application is in queue" for the in-person program but never sent anything for the hybrid one, so I thought I wasn't getting an interview for the hybrid. I was pleasantly surprised to see that email today!

What was your gpa like?  I’m starting to wonder if mine is too low

3 minutes ago, KythefuturePA said:

What was your gpa like?  I’m starting to wonder if mine is too low

My undergrad degree is from a different country, and that GPA is 3.25. I did a DIY 60-credit post-bacc in the US and got a 3.9. My sGPA is also 3.9.

30 minutes ago, QUAYPA said:

They updated the admissions page stating that interview slots were filled for 18Jul. Do they require an interview acceptance or are they just going off of how many offers they sent out? 

wowwwww hopefully because i sent mine in just few weeks ago they havent come across my app yet. thats a good question

Edited by Futurepa2222

44 minutes ago, Futurepa2222 said:

wowwwww hopefully because i sent mine in just few weeks ago they havent come across my app yet. thats a good question

That may be the case. They look at interviews in the order they're received so it's highly likely they filled slots before they finished reviewing applications received at the end of June. 

1 minute ago, QUAYPA said:

That may be the case. They look at interviews in the order they're received so it's highly likely they filled slots before they finished reviewing applications received at the end of June. 

Hopefully I get an interview August 5th. I’m curious to know how many already excepted their seat to the program. I know there were like 96 seats available

1 minute ago, Futurepa2222 said:

Hopefully I get an interview August 5th. I’m curious to know how many already excepted their seat to the program. I know there were like 96 seats available

Where did you see updated seat openings?

On 6/25/2024 at 5:55 PM, jhday said:

@PAMVR Interviews went as well as I could expect. They provided a stress free, relaxed environment. In general during interviews, I always feel I could be better but I know I was prepared the best I could be for this one specifically (probably the most prepared compared to every interview I’ve ever had my entire life). I had a lot of fun with the group interviews, it was engaging. The interview day was structured very well, your day was planned to the minute.

Best of luck! My recommendation is to take intentional, deep breaths (take specific moments to do this, you’ll have some breaks in the interview to do this, reset yourself) during your interview and conduct your interview in a place you feel the most comfortable. Lastly, have fun!!! You have made it this far. You became eligible to apply to a program (that’s hard!). Be proud of yourself and hold your head high with a huge smile on your face. What you’ve accomplished leading up to this moment is outstanding all by itself. Congrats! 

When you got the offer for an interview, did you have to send a response to accept or were you just told the date you were scheduled?

The schedule changes each semester. You can expect to have classes M-F. You may have a 2-3 classes MWF, but then 1-2 classes T/TH. Just depends on the semester. Classes typically started no sooner than 10a EST and ended no later than 5p EST. There were a couple days where classes may have needed to be shifted due to other events happening, but it wasn’t an every week thing. 
As far as rotations go, please reference my previous post. The affiliation process is very rigorous and can be hard to secure. Just because there are places near you does not mean they have capacity to allow students, they may not meet Pitt’s standards, or they may have affiliation with other schools that prevent them from having affiliations with Pitt. For example, I live in Blacksburg, VA. We have a level 1 trauma hospital with multiple satellite hospitals, clinics, etc. However, there are two med schools and a PA program in my area too that have affiliation with all the hospital systems in my area. So, they were not willing to extend affiliation to Pitt. So, I was able to do 5 of my 8 rotations through private or WVU clinics/hospitals. I am in Florida because my options were other states that still required relocation, but I have family in Florida I was able to stay with so that is why I chose Florida instead of the other options.

You are NOT allowed to reach out to clinical sites to see if they can take you as a student. We have a clinical team that works day and night to secure clinical sites. You can send personal contacts to them and they will reach out or give them areas you want them to look at, but you are NOT to reach out and ask preceptors to take you.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, QUAYPA said:

They updated the admissions page stating that interview slots were filled for 18Jul. Do they require an interview acceptance or are they just going off of how many offers they sent out? 

The interview invitation email said that you have until July 8th to accept the offer, so I assume they are just going off of how many they sent out.

26 minutes ago, Futurepa2222 said:

That’s great to hear!!! Can you share when you submitted your application? 

CASPA Application submitted 5/20, but my letters of rec were not submitted until 6/6 so I do not know if that delayed anything from that. Hope that helps!

7 hours ago, KAKtoPA said:

I'm in SVWA area, too!! I'm currently in Blacksburg (working in Radford), but just accepted a seat for Jan 2025. Where are your local rotations? And what are your plans/what did you do for the ones you have to travel for? (Airbnbs, hotels, etc)

I am in Christiansburg! 

I am not at liberty to say the names of places, but I had one in Blacksburg (which was my elective rotation/personal contact) one in Princeton, WV through a WVU clinic, one in Laurel Fork/Fries, VA (this was a personal contact so they may not be available anymore), another one in Princeton, WV through a private clinic, and another one in Blacksburg (same place as my elective rotation, just classified as my surgery rotation). The other three were in Florida. So, I did ortho surgery, elective, family medicine, pediatrics, and OBGYN at my house and EM, IM, and BH in Florida. 

For my first rotation in Florida I was in Naples and got an AirBnB, my second rotation I was in Jacksonville, but stayed with a family member, and my third rotation is in Delray Beach and I’m splitting an AirBnB with two other students from the program. 

I hope this helps and congrats! 

On 6/30/2024 at 10:23 AM, Futurepa2222 said:

Hi! I have a question. How is the flipped classroom? Do you find it difficult to learn with that style of learning? I’m also curious to know if class is 5 days a week and if your on the virtual class for 8 hours a day. Can you share the schedule you are typically in the computer for? I’m curious to know 

also, speaking on the rotations. I see that 3 of your rotations you stated are in Florida. Did you ask for those rotations to be in that state? Or is it because nothing was available in Virginia for those three rotations? Are students able to help with the location of their rotation? I just asked because I’m from the tri state area ( New York and New Jersey) I can’t imagine having to go to any other states, since there are a lot of facilities in this location. 

I honestly like the flipped style of learning. I've screenshotted a normal week of classes for me I'm in central time. Exams are usually Tuesdays or Fridays starting at 9 CST. The last few weeks with interview days and holidays this week make the schedule a little goofy so they change class times around to fit all classes in less time. It takes a lot of self-discipline to learn and study the material but you find groups over time. Right now in the second semester we have 1-2 exams every week which isn't the most fun. First semester we had an exam maybe every other week.

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 23.50.05.png

Edited by fiskx049

9 hours ago, Futurepa2222 said:

Usually there's 100 total in each cohort give or take a few, I have a classmate who was accepted the same day we started classes. If I remember right they were also interviewing into October/November of last year for a January start. 

I just am confused. I received another email saying my application was in queue to be reviewed again on June 25th. My application was received by the University on May 3rd and my last reference put their recommendation on May 10th. I feel like it should have already been looked at