PACIFIC UNIVERSITY 2024 CYCLE

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, PrePAfromCA said:

Pacific is having difficulty securing rotation sites for the clinical year of the program. This has resulted in the school utilizing AMOpportunites for many rotation sites. Speaking to some current students, they reported that some students found out their placement as little as 1-2 weeks from their start date and are expected to move cross country with no support from the school. AMO is a service where people or universities can purchase student rotation experiences. I am worried that the cost of attendance will increase substantially from what is displayed on their website and that the quality of rotations will decrease. Not to say the school isn't adequate, just be prepared for increased costs.    

Thank you so much for that information. This is definitely a major concern for me. 

• Administrator
16 hours ago, PrePAfromCA said:

Speaking to some current students, they reported that some students found out their placement as little as 1-2 weeks from their start date and are expected to move cross country with no support from the school.

Pacific makes it very clear to applicants and incoming students that they will be placed in diverse settings all over the United States. This is a feature of the program if you like it, and a downside if you do not.

"no support from the school"? You're adults who are going to be taking care of others' lives. The school does not exist to arrange rooming and transportation; independence, drive, and initiative are expected. In practice, most of the rotation sites are reused year after year, and many students share information about good short-term housing options, safe parking at the various medical centers, and similar tidbits. That peer networking and support is also a feature, and extends beyond just your PA cohort; Pacific PA students often end up rotating at sites with other Pacific graduate students--I ended up with a Pacific pharmacy student I knew working at two of my rotation sites.

I was among the most "local" students in my class, with 50% of my rotation time in Washington, 40% in the greater Portland area, and 10% international.  They were able to accommodate (no promises, but best effort) my desire to move around with my wife and kids, and I was able to join them on weekends at the very least for all but my Costa Rica rotation. My classmates went to pretty much every state West of the Mississippi (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Ohio.

If you're wanting your rotations to be a great adventure of working in diverse environments and cultures, you will thrive in Pacific's rotations. If you want your rotations all to be in the same metro area, consider whether you'll be happy at Pacific; I'm sure there are other perfectly good PA programs that aim for a more local experience.

My understanding as an alumnus is that the brief probation was ARC-PA deciding that certain "X" rotations needed to be with board certified physicians in X disciplines, not PAs or other clinicians practicing in X discipline. It was an interpretation of a standard in a manner that had not been explicitly spelled out, resulting in an insta-probation as if it were a serious or wilful breach, rather than noted as a necessary tweak to be fixed by next visit as the majority of deficiencies are. It was quickly rectified, but my interpretation is that ARC-PA was sending a number of messages with that action, including that a top-tier PA program was not going to be given any deference just because it had a successful track record and a stellar PANCE pass rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Pacific makes it very clear to applicants and incoming students that they will be placed in diverse settings all over the United States. This is a feature of the program if you like it, and a downside if you do not.

"no support from the school"? You're adults who are going to be taking care of others' lives. The school does not exist to arrange rooming and transportation; independence, drive, and initiative are expected. In practice, most of the rotation sites are reused year after year, and many students share information about good short-term housing options, safe parking at the various medical centers, and similar tidbits. That peer networking and support is also a feature, and extends beyond just your PA cohort; Pacific PA students often end up rotating at sites with other Pacific graduate students--I ended up with a Pacific pharmacy student I knew working at two of my rotation sites.

I was among the most "local" students in my class, with 50% of my rotation time in Washington, 40% in the greater Portland area, and 10% international.  They were able to accommodate (no promises, but best effort) my desire to move around with my wife and kids, and I was able to join them on weekends at the very least for all but my Costa Rica rotation. My classmates went to pretty much every state West of the Mississippi (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Ohio.

If you're wanting your rotations to be a great adventure of working in diverse environments and cultures, you will thrive in Pacific's rotations. If you want your rotations all to be in the same metro area, consider whether you'll be happy at Pacific; I'm sure there are other perfectly good PA programs that aim for a more local experience.

My understanding as an alumnus is that the brief probation was ARC-PA deciding that certain "X" rotations needed to be with board certified physicians in X disciplines, not PAs or other clinicians practicing in X discipline. It was an interpretation of a standard in a manner that had not been explicitly spelled out, resulting in an insta-probation as if it were a serious or wilful breach, rather than noted as a necessary tweak to be fixed by next visit as the majority of deficiencies are. It was quickly rectified, but my interpretation is that ARC-PA was sending a number of messages with that action, including that a top-tier PA program was not going to be given any deference just because it had a successful track record and a stellar PANCE pass rate.

Thank you for the clarification!