Eastern Virginia Medical School Interviews 2024

8 hours ago, ScrambledM3ggs said:

Hello everyone,

I am travelling from California and am looking forward to meeting you all! I'm super excited for interviews and to learn more about EVMS. I'm curious to know where other people from out of state are staying? I get in Thursday night, and leave Saturday afternoon. I have yet to book lodging, and I'm interested in possibly carpooling to and from campus? If anyone is interested in sharing an Uber, or have hotel suggestions, please let me know!

Hi! Sharing two online resources from the EVMS website regarding hotel suggestions/discounted rates:

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/health_professions/mpa_program/pdfs/Hotel_Rate_Agreements_2019.pdf

https://www.evms.edu/community/living_in_hampton_roads/hotels/

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GTM99 said:

Hello! 

Could you all touch on the simulation and immersive center and the cadaver lab? Pros and cons to both? Thank you 🙂 

Hi! Great question. I believe you will get to see both of those facilities on interview day. I'm sure your tour guides will be happy to share more of their experiences and pros/cons as well. 

SCSIL

Pros: 

• Fantastic experience. The standardized patients (medical actors) and event administrators are amazing, encouraging, and genuinely want us to learn.  
  • It is a simulation, so it is a safe place to make mistakes
  • You get to work with a group of your classmates every week which makes it fun!

Cons

• Just like any patient experience in the real world, it can be stressful or emotional!

Donor lab

Pros

• I absolutely loved anatomy lab. One of my favorite experiences in PA school so far. 
  • There are so many opportunities for 1 on 1 education in the lab. You get to know the lab TAs and professors well after seeing them multiple times per week
  • Hands on! If you are a visual or kinesthetic learner, this is the perfect setting for you to learn. We get to dissect and also just study the donors. 
  • 24/7 access 
  • EVMS does a fantastic job of making sure the donors are respected and honored 

Cons

• This goes for any anatomy lab... you are going to see, smell, and touch some unpleasant things! If you are going into medicine you are going to have to deal with that regularly, so it's good preparation for that.
  • Lab exams are high-stress
  • Time-consuming and challenging
  • Like 1

Hi everyone! 🙂 

How big are the purses that everyone is bringing? I was going to bring a medium-sized to fit a water bottle/coffee, change of shoes for tour, notebook & pen, etc.  

But I'm not sure if everyone else is either leaving bags at home altogether, or bringing small bags? That seemed to be the consensus at the student Q&A, and I don't want to be the only one with a tote 😅

30 minutes ago, Katherine16 said:

Hi everyone! 🙂 

How big are the purses that everyone is bringing? I was going to bring a medium-sized to fit a water bottle/coffee, change of shoes for tour, notebook & pen, etc.  

But I'm not sure if everyone else is either leaving bags at home altogether, or bringing small bags? That seemed to be the consensus at the student Q&A, and I don't want to be the only one with a tote 😅

You're not alone, I plan on bringing a full on medium-sized backpack haha

Edited by ychen
  • Like 1

Hi Hailey and Alexis thanks for creating this group! 

I am coming from out of town, where would be the best place to park for the day? Is there a nearby parking deck/lot you would recommend?

Also, would you be able to touch on the community partner resources, and if you are involved in any of them, what is it like?

On 7/7/2024 at 1:12 PM, Katherine16 said:

Hi everyone! 🙂 

Hello! I was going to bring a tote as well so don't worry. I just don't know how I am going to fit my sneakers in there 

• Like 1

Hi!

I appreciate the opportunity to participate in this forum and pick the brain of some of the current EVMS MPAS students! 

I was curious about the community service projects around EVMS. I have a strong interest in participating in the community and was curious how it is working in the HOPES student-run free clinic, as well as what kind of community organizations are supported by the PA program?

Thank you!

Regarding parking, you should've gotten an email from our staff about where to park! I believe they are telling interviewees to park in the CHKD Visitor Parking lot. It is a paid lot, so bring cash to pay for it on the way out. 

HAPPY DAY BEFORE INTERVIEWS! 

We are so excited to see everyone Thursday and Friday! I do recommend bringing a small/portable umbrella if desirable, as rain will be coming through Norfolk over the next couple of days. This is also a reminder to wear closed-toed shoes if you plan on entering our Anatomy Lab, and make sure your waiver is complete.

Last bits of advice:

- You have worked so hard to be here. Know your own "why" and be kind to yourselves. 

- SLEEP tonight/tomorrow

A few people have asked about community organizations and resources. EVMS is very community oriented, which is personally my favorite aspect of the program. Please feel free to ask us more about this on your interview day. A lot of students are involved in HOPES Free Clinic. This is a student-run (MD/PA) free clinic, serving uninsured adult residents in Norfolk. There are opportunities to take vital signs, draw labs, function as an interpreter, and many other positions.

• Like 1

Hi Hailey & Alexis,

I just wanted to say thank you (and all the students and staff!) for making Friday such a great day.

It was clear how much love and care was poured from the current students and staff into the interview day. Even on a rainy day, you all really showed how amazing this program is; every single person was so kind and wonderful.

I hope I can join you all next year! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MAnderson96 said:

We made it through interviews everyone! I do have a final question, how can we send a separate thank you letter to the community PA that interviewed us?

We don't have their contact info, unfortunately, but reach out to the EVMS PA Admissions office and they may be able to help connect you with your community PA!

• Like 1