• Administrator

Looks like we're up to 12 states which have enacted the PA compact, plus 7 more pending. We're well on track to getting half the states on board by the time the PA compact goes operational in 18-24 months.

https://www.aapa.org/news-central/2024/05/pa-licensure-compact-update-minnesota-and-tennessee-become-the-11th-and-12th-states-to-pass-pa-licensure-compact/

ETA: Here's a quickie map

PA Compact 6-2024.jpg

Edited by rev ronin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, ventana said:

I think this solidly proves the naysayers wrong that it would take years and millions to accomplish...

Now for OTP!!

I think this is a lower risk deal, because it rides the coattails of other interstate licensing compacts: in this case, I believe the RN compacts are the main precedent, but I could be wrong. Also, each state agrees about the prerequisites to practice in their state, but each PA will be under the laws in the state of practice while practicing there, so this is entirely orthogonal to OTP.

We should start a PA forum pool on how many states will have legislatively opted to participate in the PA licensing compact before it goes live.

I'm sticking with 25, but I'd love to be proved too cautious.

• Administrator

Actually, 25 may be too low a number, because the two places I think have the most need for more PAs--the rural [mid-]West (AK, ID, MT, ND, SD, KS, IA) and South (AZ, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC) aren't even considering it yet, while New England in general appears much closer to enacting it.

I don't know that the AMA is going to try and torpedo this one, but they represent so few physicians anymore, one wonders at how much political clout they really have. Certainly not enough to stop NP practice expansion...

11 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Looks like we're up to 12 states which have enacted the PA compact, plus 7 more pending. We're well on track to getting half the states on board by the time the PA compact goes operational in 18-24 months.

https://www.aapa.org/news-central/2024/05/pa-licensure-compact-update-minnesota-and-tennessee-become-the-11th-and-12th-states-to-pass-pa-licensure-compact/

ETA: Here's a quickie map

PA Compact 6-2024.jpg

Not exactly compact but recently I licensed in Utah (from Texas) and they basically said "if you are licensed in one of these states (I forget the exact number) we consider you to meet the criteria for licensure here. I filled out a form, paid my money, and had an Utah license that afternoon.

Texas physicians are still working pretty hard against every non-physician and Utah has full independence after 10,000 clinical hours. I work in the VA and they don't care where you are licensed and want you "at the top of your license" so it worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1