2024-2025 Midwestern (IL)

Hi, current Midwestern student here, best of luck to everyone, you got this!!

Midwestern is an excellent school (sometimes it's hard to tell the reality of a program before being there). The program is super organized, supportive, and has every resource you could need.

A couple things that make Midwestern unique that they don't highlight enough: it is only health professions. There are no undergrads, no other departments on campus. All resources and support staff are geared specifically toward biomedical sciences. All rotations (except one) are within a 50-mile radius (no travel). All classes are taught by a professor with a PhD in that exact subject, often down to the subtopic-- anatomy, biochem, pharm, diabetes, implicit bias, embryology etc. Attendance at lecture is not required, no dress code. 

For the application review, if it's the same as last year I believe the faculty meet once a month, and review all apps that are still pending a decision. If they still require CASPER, do it ASAP, even before you get an interview if this school is a top choice. They won't review your app until the score is received, and it would bump you to the next month's review even if you interviewed earlier.

If people you interviewed with heard back and you haven't, don't give up hope. I think they re-review everyone that interviewed and you could still get accepted after the next one. If you're waitlisted-- this is a big program, and they accept a lot of people off the waitlist.

Best of luck to everyone. This is a great program, and I'm personally very glad to have ended up here. 

Edited by PrePA2009
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, PrePA2009 said:

Hi, current Midwestern student here, best of luck to everyone, you got this!!

Midwestern is an excellent school (sometimes it's hard to tell the reality of a program before being there). The program is super organized, supportive, and has every resource you could need.

A couple things that make Midwestern unique that they don't highlight enough: it is only health professions. There are no undergrads, no other departments on campus. All resources and support staff are geared specifically toward biomedical sciences. All rotations (except one) are within a 50-mile radius (no travel). All classes are taught by a professor with a PhD in that exact subject, often down to the subtopic-- anatomy, biochem, pharm, diabetes, implicit bias, embryology etc. Attendance at lecture is not required, no dress code. 

For the application review, if it's the same as last year I believe the faculty meet once a month, and review all apps that are still pending a decision. If they still require CASPER, do it ASAP, even before you get an interview if this school is a top choice. They won't review your app until the score is received, and it would bump you to the next month's review even if you interviewed earlier.

If people you interviewed with heard back and you haven't, don't give up hope. I think they re-review everyone that interviewed and you could still get accepted after the next one. If you're waitlisted-- this is a big program, and they accept a lot of people off the waitlist.

Best of luck to everyone. This is a great program, and I'm personally very glad to have ended up here. 

wait so I should do the CASPER now?? I applied in May and I still am "awaiting decision" status. will taking the casper help me get an interview you think?

For the casper questions - yeah, required if interview is offered. I already took the casper for another program so once my score came through I forwarded it to Midwestern as well. 

If it’s any consolation, I found the casper to be relatively simple!! It’s fickle, and a bit odd,  but nothing too intensive. 

11 hours ago, loonlake said:

For the casper questions - yeah, required if interview is offered. I already took the casper for another program so once my score came through I forwarded it to Midwestern as well. 

If it’s any consolation, I found the casper to be relatively simple!! It’s fickle, and a bit odd,  but nothing too intensive. 

So its not necessarily required to GET an interview invite then? my status has been "awaiting decision" since i applied back in early June 

2 hours ago, libby29 said:

So its not necessarily required to GET an interview invite then? my status has been "awaiting decision" since i applied back in early June 

As far as their website states and what I’ve heard so far, it is not required to get an interview! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, prePA1029 said:

I interviewed 5 weeks ago. From what I remember, they said we would hear back 4-5 weeks after the interview. Should I assume I was rejected? Is it annoying if I email them to check on my status?

I got same scenario last year to found out I was rejected... 🙄 However, every case is different don't lose hope, you got this! I get in this cycle! 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here back on interview invites in the past few weeks? I was complete around mid August and I have been in the "Awaiting Decision" on my portal for about over a month now, but it has been radio silent since. All my materials are in too. Ahh hope to hear some good news soon!!

9 hours ago, pagad949 said:

Anyone here back on interview invites in the past few weeks? I was complete around mid August and I have been in the "Awaiting Decision" on my portal for about over a month now, but it has been radio silent since. All my materials are in too. Ahh hope to hear some good news soon!!

This is happening to me as well! Been like this since the beginning of august after my interview! Hopefull to hear something soon! 

6 minutes ago, Roe02 said:

I just logged on to my portal to see if there is anything new, there are usually the Big check marks on there. Now it just says awaiting decision, without the check marks. Does that mean anything?

I have this as well! I was wondering the same thing too

2 hours ago, libby29 said:

I have this as well! I was wondering the same thing too

2 hours ago, Roe02 said:

I just logged on to my portal to see if there is anything new, there are usually the Big check marks on there. Now it just says awaiting decision, without the check marks. Does that mean anything?

I just checked and mine looks the same as yours - no big check marks but still says “Status: Awaiting Decision”