Double blind, placebo controlled, peer reviewed? I don't think so. Too many factor involved with open label studies to make them trustworthy. Published where? You could this study with double blind (sham aromas) and placebo.

7 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

What do you use for a sham aroma? Dirty underwear?

You could use anything that you don't believe has a therapeutic effective. Dirty underwear would be okay. But seriously, if the claim is lavender you could start by comparing real lavender to some chemical unrelated to lavender.

• Like 1

This is not a high-level study. However, I would love to add another thing to multimodal pain control, especially in cancer-related pain, so why not start somewhere. And I wonder if it is really pain that pts are seeing relief in or something else such as anxiety.

Anyone ever heard of Castor Oil or Comfrey Oil for pain? Had a pt use this and had significant relief for a pathologic fracture from a malignancy. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2024 at 11:20 AM, iconic said:

Someone has an academic doctoral degree, immediately clarified their credentials after the name in a written piece - I have no issues with them using their earned title 

I don’t use it when I introduce myself to patients, but I have Dr “O’Neal” PA-C on my lab coat and introduce myself to new hospital staff as Dr. “O’Neal”, one of the EM PAs, all the time. The law in my state specifically allows for this as long as I include that in a PA, and interestingly also actually requires physicians to specify if they are a DO or MD when they use the Dr. moniker 

On 5/23/2024 at 7:46 PM, kettle said:

Dr. NP 😆

Laugh all you want, but NP's have destroyed us.  In Arizona they can get an online degree on day 1 and on day 2, hang a shingle with ZERO supervision.  Open their own clinic and do what they want.... so yeah....keep laughing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CAAdmission said:

Soon we'll be like the RNs, in a race to see who can collect the most alphabet soup after their name. Extra wide name tag, here I come.

I am winning

PA John Smith, AAS, BS, MS, MBA, ATLS, PALS, BLS, DORK, DFAAPA

Who else want to play??? 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I don’t use it when I introduce myself to patients, but I have Dr “O’Neal” PA-C on my lab coat and introduce myself to new hospital staff as Dr. “O’Neal”, one of the EM PAs, all the time. The law in my state specifically allows for this as long as I include that in a PA, and interestingly also actually requires physicians to specify if they are a DO or MD when they use the Dr. moniker 

Interestingly, I never introduce myself as Dr Emedpa in a clinical setting, but all the nurses and docs I work with call me Dr Emedpa. I have PA, DHSc on my name tags with a Physician Associate tag underneath. 

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Interestingly, I never introduce myself as Dr Emedpa in a clinical setting, but all the nurses and docs I work with call me Dr Emedpa. I have PA, DHSc on my name tags with a Physician Associate tag underneath. 

I'm 50/50 for depositions since earning my DMSc, but they're consistent within each depositon. Actually, that's not entirely true--the opposing counsel called me doctor a couple of times in cross, when my own patient's attorney did not. Not that I mind or care, but it's interesting. I literally wrote "earn a doctorate" as one of my life goals 30 years prior to earning my DMSc, and now it feels so anticlimactic to have achieved it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I literally wrote "earn a doctorate" as one of my life goals 30 years prior to earning my DMSc, and now it feels so anticlimactic to have achieved it.

A friend of mine who works in academia now has 3(PhD, DHSc, JD) and likely going back for more. 

If I could get a DrPH for free I probably would, but don't want to pay for it. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

A friend of mine who works in academia now has 3(PhD, DHSc, JD) and likely going back for more. 

If I could get a DrPH for free I probably would, but don't want to pay for it. 

If you have a degree program that helps you do your current job better, NOT train you for a new profession, it's treated just like CME. So, you may not be able to get it all paid for, but I'm essentially spending pre-tax dollars on mine.

• Like 1

I go in the other direction: my work shirts & fleeces say OhioVolFFEMTP, PA-C, EMT-P.  At work, I introduce myself as OhioVolFFEMTP, the night guy.  I've pondered getting a DHSc, but I'm only planning on working clinically from now on, so for me I don't see the ROI for spending the time & ~$40K.

15 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I go in the other direction: my work shirts & fleeces say OhioVolFFEMTP, PA-C, EMT-P.  At work, I introduce myself as OhioVolFFEMTP, the night guy.  I've pondered getting a DHSc, but I'm only planning on working clinically from now on, so for me I don't see the ROI for spending the time & ~$40K.

I got mine to expand my role in global health missions and to do some teaching. I got it 9 years ago. Teaching 1 course a term online for a DMSc program paid for the degree in 2 years. Until I got the DHSc, My tags said PA, EMT-P. I still wear my LA County paramedic pin on my lab coat lapel. 

Not sure of the "thoughts" you're wanting are about the Dr. NP or about aromatherapy, but here's another piece about aromatherapy being studied in a medical setting, this one for NICU babies:

https://uknow.uky.edu/uk-healthcare/pediatric-experts-find-aromatherapy-effective-promoting-infant-healing-nas-recovery

Seems like there could be some real benefit.  I'd be interested to see further research.

Too many confounders for this study to ever be legitimate or worth funding in that specific pt population. Don't see why it'd be heralded when the medical community can solely read the descriptor in the pic above and already tear it apart.