Negotiating to a lower salary than what is listed on the job posting?

Hey guys! 

I am a new-grad PA (admittedly I graduated last year and have no experience due to recently getting married, taking care of family health, moving, etc. But I did recently take the PANCE two months ago and passed). I'm currently in the process of applying for jobs and a spine/pain management/neuro clinic has taken a particular interest on me. I have an in-person interview this week but during the pre-screening call the physician asked right off the bat what I wanted salary-wise.

I told him the 110K-140K on the job listing seemed fair. Then he went into how that might not be doable because ideally he wanted a mid-level with experience and that as a new-grad it will take time to train me. He then asked if I am willing to negotiate on that and that in 3-6 months if I continue to do well I can get "promoted". I told him I understood it will take time to train me and that as someone who will be bringing my best everyday I am willing to consider what is fair and competitive for a new-grad in the market. 

I'm not going to assume I'll be getting a job offer but he seemed very interested in my personal experiences/background and very persistent/eager. I'm worried he will ask me again about the salary during my in-person job interview. But just so I know for future reference when I do hopefully receive an offer from employers, is it wrong for me to still negotiate for the listed salary range on the job posting as a new-grad? Or should I aim lower? Does 110K-140K in this specialty seem appropriate for a new-grad?

For context I live in GA.

Thanks in advance! 

Unless they specifically post experienced, the range is the range. In fact, I think some states are required to be transparent in their pay range so offering less would be  illegal. I don't think Georgia is one of those states, though. Regardless, it is unethical, IMO.

Fwiw, I had a prospective employer do the same to me but as an experienced PA interviewing for a new surgical subspecialty. They offered something like $15-20k less because they said I was inexperienced to which I said no. They countered with a slightly higher base and a significantly higher sign-on bonus to compensate and get me up to the range that the job was advertised for. It was a red flag and the job ended up sucking so I didn't stay very long. Stick to your guns and know your worth. Be willing to walk away. Please heed caution and recognize that them undercutting pay is a red flag. If any other red flags pop up, walk away and don't look back. 

I understand I don't have experience, so I'm willing to take an offer on the lower end of the salary range posted. However, I'm also concerned about the total compensation, so I would like to see the benefit package. If you feel I'm the right fit for this job, I'm sure we can come to a mutual agreement.

• Upvote 1

PA student here so no experience with job hunting in that capacity. However, my wife graduated nursing school 2 weeks ago and has had job offers in GA that put her in the 85k-90k range. I believe PAs need to do better fending for themselves when it comes to compensation. Unless there’s some sort of bonus or additional compensation involved, 110k is actually on the low end for PAs already. Lower than that and you will only maybe end up making slightly more than an inexperienced nurse with much more responsibility.

There’s also to consider the fact that this employer listed a job with a salary range and is not honoring it. I see this as a red flag.

Edited by 68WEMTto65DPAC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 5/25/2024 at 3:14 PM, 68WEMTto65DPAC said:

However, my wife graduated nursing school 2 weeks ago and has had job offers in GA that put her in the 85k-90k range.

RNs are in HUGE demand because the rapid expansion of NP programs that are at-home upgrades has eviscerated the RN workforce, and Covid did nursing retention no favors either. As I understand it the peak has passed, but locums RNs I met on my most recent medical mission trip to Guatemala had all been making bank and were generally paying their own way on an altruistic semi-vacation, rather than having to raise money for their trip.