Civilian Contract job for military base

Hello all!

Currently have been in rural family practice for the past three years. Considering taking a job at the naval base my husband is stationed at as a civilian contract PA through a federal staffing company.  Has anyone had experience working as a family medicine civilian contractor for the navy? Looking for some insight. Thanks!

Edited by PACFM8772

I worked with a few while I was in. They were generally happy, but if I remember correctly the contracted employees were underpaid compared to government employees (as Ventana said). Generally low acuity (young, healthy active duty and dependents along with retirees). Depending on where you work you could also be training corpsmen which I think is pretty cool. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 5:10 PM, ventana said:

Unsure if relevant but anytime there is a middle man (head hunter/recruiter) they make money off you.  

if you are interested approach the base HR directly.  Get your own company and do it yourself.  

It doesn't work that way for federal contracting for the department of defense. There are 30+ prime contractors for medicine staffing contracts for the department of defense. Contracts are required to be posted for bidding. Then awarded. Only prime contractors can bid. 

Prime contractors can then subcontract certain contracts but not as common. 

Contrqcts are posts at SAM.gov. site is hard to navigate searches but all contracts end up there and at times include the award details.