Seton Hall PA Program- PLEASE HELP!

Hello everyone,

Im 23, and this will be the first time I will be applying to PA school. I was wondering if you think I have a chance and any other recommendations. My #1 school is Seton Hall University in South Orange, NJ (they do not participate in CASPA).

I majored in biology and minored in chemistry. I took all science pre-reqs (and more) except for anatomy and physiology 1 (I took the second one because the school I went to did not require taking the 1st course for the second). I plan to take A&P1 this upcoming Fall. 

My overall gpa is around 3.4

My science gpa is around 3.16 (however, Seton Hall only factors pre-req gpa which is around 3.5-3.6 without this missing prereq).

Im currently doing a post-bacc, and I have a 4.0 so far (the post bacc is only 27 credits).

I have over 7000 hours as a certified medical assistant, I have done research, won awards, and over 200 hours as a volunteer.

I just took the GRE 2 days ago and got 151q/150v (still waiting on score for writing).

53 minutes ago, PrePA94 said:

Hello everyone,

Im 23, and this will be the first time I will be applying to PA school. I was wondering if you think I have a chance and any other recommendations. My #1 school is Seton Hall University in South Orange, NJ (they do not participate in CASPA).

I majored in biology and minored in chemistry. I took all science pre-reqs (and more) except for anatomy and physiology 1 (I took the second one because the school I went to did not require taking the 1st course for the second).

My science gpa is around 3.16 (however, Seton Hall only factors pre-req gpa which is around 3.5-3.6 without this missing prereq).

Im currently doing a post-bacc, and I have a 4.0 so far (the post bacc is only 27 credits).

I have over 7000 hours as a certified medical assistant, I have done research, won awards, and over 200 hours as a volunteer.

I just took the GRE 2 days ago and got 151q/150v (still waiting on score for writing).

competitive. But I wouldn't pigeonhole yourself to one program. That is bad juju.

2 minutes ago, BearDown said:

competitive. But I wouldn't pigeonhole yourself to one program. That is bad juju.

Thank you so much. I dont view my application as competitive though (gre score isnt even in the 50th percentile, low science gpa, missing pre-req). do you know if Seton Hall doesnt stress gre? I will definitely be applying to other programs, but its nonetheless very nerve-wrecking!

57 minutes ago, PrePA94 said:

Hello everyone,

I majored in biology and minored in chemistry. I took all science pre-reqs (and more) except for anatomy and physiology 1 (I took the second one because the school I went to did not require taking the 1st course for the second).

I would also know that seton hall is a 3 yr program and you need to assess the amount of debt you'll be in with that extra year

13 minutes ago, BearDown said:

I would also know that seton hall is a 3 yr program and you need to assess the amount of debt you'll be in with that extra year

Yea, I know. But I figured that the school preps you really well, has a great reputation,  and I will be living with family in North Jersey if I get accepted (so no rent worries!).

A few thoughts:

You only have A&P II? Most program require two semesters, including Seton. Regardless of what your undergraduate institution requires you have to take each program’s required prerequisites. When they have to be completed by (application date vs matriculation, etc.) will vary by program. Are you planning to take A&P I? From your post it doesn’t sound like it. 

As far as your GRE score goes, a quick scan of the program’s website says that a GRE score at or above the 50th percentile would be seen as competitive. I would say if you’re below that then you’re not as competitive.

Overall, GPA and GRE are likely a bit below average to average. PCE is certainly above average and very solid. You would be a great candidate for programs that stress patient care and clinical experience over academics, but you certainly have a decent shot for this program. 

All of this being said, if you don’t have the required prerequisites this is irrelevant.

24 minutes ago, hmtpnw said:

A few thoughts:

You only have A&P II? Most program require two semesters, including Seton. Regardless of what your undergraduate institution requires you have to take each program’s required prerequisites. When they have to be completed by (application date vs matriculation, etc.) will vary by program. Are you planning to take A&P I? From your post it doesn’t sound like it. 

As far as your GRE score goes, a quick scan of the program’s website says that a GRE score at or above the 50th percentile would be seen as competitive. I would say if you’re below that then you’re not as competitive.

Overall, GPA and GRE are likely a bit below average to average. PCE is certainly above average and very solid. You would be a great candidate for programs that stress patient care and clinical experience over academics, but you certainly have a decent shot for this program. 

All of this being said, if you don’t have the required prerequisites this is irrelevant.

Hello-

Yes, Im registered for A&P1 in the Fall. I would be applying with that course pending.

1 hour ago, BearDown said:

All PA programs are 3 academic years, just some of the programs drag it out from 27 months to 36 months. Same amount of work. 

5 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

All PA programs are 3 academic years, just some of the programs drag it out from 27 months to 36 months. Same amount of work. 

I think the point here is that if the program is spread across an additional year, then you will pay for an additional year of schooling. The length of your program can change your total amount of indebtedness and it's certainly something to consider.

Also, this isn't necessarily true about all programs being the same amount of work. Some programs have a special focus and are longer because of this. A good example is the program at University of Colorado, where you complete all of the regular coursework as well as additional coursework in pediatrics. 

16 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

You count by semesters NOT years....so your program was 7 semesters which is 3 academic years and medical school is 10 semesters. 

Not to nitpick, but it was six semesters. I guess we were busy both summers, so if an academic year is fall to spring, it was more than two academic years.

• 11 months later...

Archived