Laptop suggestions for PA school?

So I was recently accepted into the program of my choice, and it starts in January. I have plans to save up for a laptop/tablet that I can use while in school, but I am not sure where to start. I usually buy the cheapest laptops BestBuy or Walmart sells that fit my needs, but I want a higher end laptop for school that I can use to take notes with and run any computer apps that my school requires. What seems to work for you and your classmates?

congratulations on your acceptance! My program supplied us with laptops when we started. In regards to applications the only special app was examsoft which locks your computer while taking exams so you cannot access any other files or apps. see if your program uses anything similar and if there are any requirements to use it (basically is it mac/Windows compatible). otjer than that a web browser and your preferred office suite us all you need so don't spend a fortune on a high end machine. good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Personally I'd check with my program before shopping.  Most will tell you it's up to you or they will give you generic requirements that you must meet.  Start there and see what they say.  After that, it really is up to your preference.  You don't necessarily need a higher end machine.  I purchased a mac because my program requires/provides iPads and having the functionality of my laptop/ipad/phone syncing was helpful though plenty of folks used PCs and had no issues at all.

Definitely check with the program before hand. I am not an Apple person so I stuck with a PC and ended up getting a surface pro to use. This worked perfectly for me as it does have the digitizer stylus which worked excellent with Onenote for drawing on and taking notes the uploaded powerpoints. If they would have had the surfacebook when I was in school I would have gotten that one. A tip though is always back up your notes and files on the cloud just in case anything does happen to your device. Also, then you can access it from your phone.

I agree with everyone above in that your program should provide these computer requirements for you. For instance with my program, you must have an actual laptop (Mac or PC) then any kind of tablet is for personal use only. Main reason being that tablets do not support ExamSoft, which is the program used for when we take tests disabling search function, etc. I already had a Mac Air that I purchased as a replacement after college about 5 years ago and because I only used it for my pre-requisite classes, it is still in tip top shape. I went ahead and bought an iPad mini for my own personal use to bring to class everyday (with the exception of test days) and to have on rotations. It fits in most white coat pockets!

One thing to consider....

My program also uses Examsoft for its testing as Lyndhurst referred to.  Examsoft currently DOES NOT support Windows 10 Creator version.  There is a software update coming eventually and they do have a possible workaround (running Examsoft in windows 8 compatibility mode) but not all schools will allow it.  This has been a big problem as most state bar exams are also administered using the Examsoft platform.  Its also made much worse because those computers that had Windows 10 that received the update for the Creators version report that you cannot roll it back after it has been installed for 10 days like you could with previous updates.

I would echo that you should contact your program about the requirements and if they use the Examsoft platform before you purchase a computer!  Also if they use Examsoft you will need to verify comparability there as well.  For example, a 2 in 1 computer that would allow you to use it as a tablet may be acceptable (the Surface Pro 4 is) but may also NOT work (the surface book does not!)

I bought the Microsoft SurfacePro right before PA school and I am very happy with how it worked for the Didactic year. Very easy to take notes and annotate PowerPoint slides with the pen that comes with the SurfacePro. Highly recommended!

I would recommend any kind of tablet/laptop combo. I personally use a PC asus laptop and an ipad mini. I already had the ipad so I didn't want to buy a different kind of tablet. I write notes on the tablet over the top of the powerpoint slides and then take written notes as well. I compile everything into One note so it all communicates between my devices. If I could have afforded anything, I would have wanted the surface book pro or a surface pro. The ipad mini will be super nice for rotations though since it is small. The lenovo tablet/pc combo is great though and usually at a good price point. In reality you will mostly just be using your web browser and Word applications so I don't really feel like you need anything expensive, fancy or top of the line in regards to the highest processor or graphics. Just reliable and long lasting.

We use exam master for exams and I personally feel like people who have mac laptops have a few more issues than those with PC laptops but that could just be nothing. Check with your program if they use any kind of testing software to make sure the laptop you get fits those standards. 

Thank you all for the response! I was considering a surfacepro after a few suggestions, but I l know they can get a little pricey. I will probably save up some cash in the next few months and buy one when I know more information from my program. I think I will survive if I don't have a laptop/tablet for the first day or two!

47 minutes ago, Wellness said:

Thank you all for the response! I was considering a surfacepro after a few suggestions, but I l know they can get a little pricey. I will probably save up some cash in the next few months and buy one when I know more information from my program. I think I will survive if I don't have a laptop/tablet for the first day or two!

Some schools allot an amount in the tuition for purchase of a laptop or the school allows you to submit for reimbursement (via loan stuff) on a case by case basis if they don't include a laptop as standard for every student.  Something worth checking out if finances are really tight and you find that something more elaborate is required.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Get a MacBook Pro.  Expensive but 1) They just WORK, if you don't mess around with them.  2) You can run Windows on a Mac a lot easier than you can run Mac under Windows. 3) The hardware--in terms of function and durability--is worth the premium you pay for it.  Seriously, no one makes *good* Windows laptops anymore; they all seem to be going for cost, not quality.

On 7/27/2017 at 3:33 AM, rev ronin said:

Get a MacBook Pro.  Expensive but 1) They just WORK, if you don't mess around with them.  2) You can run Windows on a Mac a lot easier than you can run Mac under Windows. 3) The hardware--in terms of function and durability--is worth the premium you pay for it.  Seriously, no one makes *good* Windows laptops anymore; they all seem to be going for cost, not quality.

I was considering a Mac, mostly because I feel as if there pretty common in PA school. Not to mention I love idevices.  I guess we'll see how much money I can save before January, and then I can make my decision!

• Administrator

I paid $3000 for mine in 2010; replaced it earlier this year with a similar high-end model.  So, a bit over $400/year, or like $1.25 a day.  Migrating from one Mac to another was flawless.  Now that I have even more space, I added a Linux virtual drive to Parallels, so now I can run Ubuntu, as well as Windows 7.

Also, our class was split 50/50, and the PC/Windows laptops failed at about 4x the rate (4 Windows rebuilds to one older Mac lost a hard drive, IIRC), but were probably ~50% of the cost, if not even cheaper.  If you can't afford to just pay money not to worry about things, then Windows is a reasonable choice.

I agree with rev ronin, a mac would definitely be worth your purchase. People in my program have both - but I've had 3 close friends with PCs have computer problems and have needed to replace their computer in the middle of the semester, which is definitely not something you'll want to deal with in the middle of exams. I bought a MacBook Air right after Christmas when it was on sale for about $900 which was completely worth every penny. I have iCloud so I can sync up my desktop with my iPhone and have access to all my notes at any time. I can also "subscribe" to our recorded lectures through iTunes and relisten to them in the mornings when getting ready. 

I have  a Mac but I recently switched to a surface pro due to the fact that I can annotate on the slides using a stylus while I can record lectures in tandom. I am a pretty quick at type but for some reason writing(even with a stylus) stimulates my brain to recall better. This is the main reason ill be ditching my Mac.  Also, PA school is FULL of powerpoint slides and the Surface pro really helps organize them by using One note. Although you can use One note for apple devices, its just not the full version.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as "your school's requirements" my school had quite outdated requirements- even requiring a CD-ROM writable drive. I mean who burns CD's these days??

I have a surface book (sans CD drive) and I love it. It is as reliable as a mac but you can use all the OneNote functionality. For example, I sync recorded audio to my notes, so when I go back to that slide, I just press play and it picks up the audio right at that time in the lecture! However, the mac version of OneNote doesn't quite have this feature. I would say my class is split between various mac's, surface devices and the Lenovo Thinkpads.

18 hours ago, EmPA26 said:

As far as "your school's requirements" my school had quite outdated requirements- even requiring a CD-ROM writable drive. I mean who burns CD's these days??

I have a surface book (sans CD drive) and I love it. It is as reliable as a mac but you can use all the OneNote functionality. For example, I sync recorded audio to my notes, so when I go back to that slide, I just press play and it picks up the audio right at that time in the lecture! However, the mac version of OneNote doesn't quite have this feature. I would say my class is split between various mac's, surface devices and the Lenovo Thinkpads.

My boyfriend suggestion the surface pro. He's a PhD candidate and they use a few in his lab. He said they're super reliable and the functionality is brilliant. Definitely on my list of considerations.

6 minutes ago, Wellness said:

My boyfriend suggestion the surface pro. He's a PhD candidate and they use a few in his lab. He said they're super reliable and the functionality is brilliant. Definitely on my list of considerations.

There are the more common surface pro and also the larger Surface Laptop. I have a Surface Book (precursor to the laptop) and I like it better than the regular Pro because the screen is a larger and I really don't use the tablet function all the much. Go to a Microsoft store and check them all out.

Archived