Application Timeline

Hi all,

I am finding it challenging to create a timeline as to when to do everything in the application process. For example, when do I need to take the GRE by? When should I start asking for letters of rec? When should I go to open houses? If anyone has some input or an example of their timeline I would greatly appreciate any help.

My best advice to you is apply and submit your CASPA application as early as possible because most programs operate on rolling admissions. I believe the new CASPA application opens some time in April (I don't know the exact date but check with CASPA). In terms of GRE, I did not take the GRE, but again, try to get everything done asap so that when the CASPA app opens, you can just enter and submit. For letter of rec, give the writers of your LORs as much time as possible. I asked the people who wrote my LORs 3 months ahead of time. So if you wanted to submit your CASPA app in May, you may want to ask them in February and tell them you'd like them to submit their LORs by a date in May. Open houses are really up to you. Check with the programs you want to go to and ask them of open house or info sessions dates. If you're planning to apply upcoming cycle, go now; find the next info session day. Hope this helps!

if you plan on taking the GRE, take it a few months ahead of the CASPA cycle opening date.  You want to have time to receive your scores and then decide if you should retake the test.  I took mine in early February and this latest CASPA cycle started late April.  Also, go into the GRE ahead of time with 4 schools you might apply to because they'll send up to 4 scores for FREE on test day. At a normal price of i believe $27 per school just to send the score, that bit of research is totally worth it. 

I sent out an email requesting a potential LOR a year in advance. Take the GRE when you feel necessary but before the June/July months of the application cycle.

As for open houses, it is not a requirement so don't put that towards the top of your to-do list.

My timeline leading up to the submission of my application (2016-2017 cycle)

Complete prerequisites by 2014 --> Complete HCE requirement by Jan 2016 --> Take GRE by March 2016 --> Submit app by May 31st

Great, thank you Diggy and SNA. That is great information! 

Does anyone have any advice on how to narrow down which schools to apply to? I have an ongoing list of potential schools. I have narrowed down by which schools I meet the requirements for. Next I was thinking by geographic location? PANCE pass rate? I don't know how many top tier schools to apply to vs how many safe schools to apply to. 

in my experience there was no such thing as a "safe school". i found that even schools that say they require a lower minimum gpa, say 2.75, still have average acceptance well above that. i wasn't tied down to geography, although I am glad I got into a school that's only a 2.5 hour drive away versus having to fly back and forth, so that could help eliminate some schools.  i started that process a good few months before CASPA opened. I'm a nut job and actually made a list of every school that participates in CASPA and went through each and every one to see what schools I had all the requirements for.  Then i went through that list and tried to eliminate the schools that I knew were a total long shot (i don't have the best GPA). Definitely read each schools program pages.  Some schools don't have an actual gross anatomy lab, but instead teach on computers. I want the real experience.  Things like that can help narrow down your choices. Some other factors that I've seen people look between when choosing between two programs: length of program, class size, location, PANCE rate, how long the program has been established, and clinical rotations.

I started out with a list of 25ish programs. Then I narrowed it down based on, program  length, cost, curriculum, and student affairs. I didn't really focus on PANCE because all the schools I have so far is >95% first time pass rate/consistently above the national's.

I echo SNA3189 in regards to no such thing as "safe schools" . The GPA minimum gives you a fighting chance instead of right out denied BUT you're still going up against the average 3.3-3.7ers.

I had my entire application ready by the end of may except 2 letters of recommendation and my gre. I submitted to get verified by CASPA and had the letters sent very soon after that. You need two to be even verified so the others can trickle in as long as it is still early in the process. I also took my gre a month after my submission and simply submitted my score to CASPA after to be sent to the schools. Worked out fine. Most important is your verification date from CASPA because that's what a lot of schools look at for order of applicant review. See what the minimum requirements are and you can continue to update CASPA with HCE, letters, GRE scores etc.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Archived