Phlebotomy: it is easy to find a job?

Hi guys,

I am going take medical terminology soon and take a phlebotomy course in the Spring. In all, I have to spend around $2500 and of course, time. But I fear I could not find a job afterwards. Have any of you guys went to phlebotomy school? If so, was it is easy to find a job afterwards? Do you guys think it is a good career to be in for one or two years so I get enough experience to meet the requirement for PA school?

Do the hospitals around you require you to have a phlebotomy course or can you gain experience being an MA or CNA and then apply to work for the lab full time? I was a phlebotomist in 1992-93 but was trained via the military. Spending that much money and time to be taught a skill that I can show you in about five minutes seems utterly silly. It is nothing that can't be learned with practice.

But to answer your question, it will depend on the need in your local area. Some places are super saturated with medical workers so jobs are super hard to get..other places are in great need of medical workers. Where are you?

I agree with all of them. I'm a phlebotomist. I got my cert last year and its awfully tough to find a job. They mostly require 1 year experience which is unreasonable cause how would you get an experience if they won't let you... So if I were you just get a medical assistant cert instead of phlebotomy. I wish I chose that path as well, or even EMT or CNA like what other people said. Plus, $2500 for the class? get out of here... thats def a waste of time and money!!!

Do the hospitals around you require you to have a phlebotomy course or can you gain experience being an MA or CNA and then apply to work for the lab full time? I was a phlebotomist in 1992-93 but was trained via the military. Spending that much money and time to be taught a skill that I can show you in about five minutes seems utterly silly. It is nothing that can't be learned with practice.

Agreed...I'm currently working in an urgent care as an MA, and they could care less if I have any certs of any kind (which i don't). I've almost got the PA talked into letting me throw the next set of sutures in...

But they're right, it depends on local needs. Becoming an MA sets you up pretty good, but again, check out the market in your area, how many job postings there are etc. Its all about getting your foot in the door somehow...network, network, network...

I did phlebo for 2 1/2 yrs as part of my HCE. but I got lucky. I made friends with the local phlebo's while volunteering in trauma I ER, and they vouched for me to their supervisor who hired me w/o experience and taught me on-job-training. all above posts are correct. $$$ is outragous. skill can be taught ...well, maybe not 5 minutes...but certainly in 10 minutes. and the rest comes with experience, no matter how you learn the basic.

and again, I discovered MA CMA were valued HCE above mine. and med term?? another pretty easy course. a lot of Com Coll will offer it...cheap. check if it is an online CME w/ credit...probably cheaper. save that $2500, you'll sure need it in PA prog!

good luck

I am currently in a phlebotomy program that costs a little over $1000. It is longer and more expensive because we also do a lot of clinical hours and get a lot of sticks. The facility where we are being trained has a high need for phlebotomists so we are pretty much guaranteed a job after we "graduate". Only catch is the shifts are mostly evenings/nights. Anyways, I agree with what most other people said, it depends on the needs in your area. Just check out the job listings and good luck!

I am currently in a phlebotomy program that costs a little over $1000. It is longer and more expensive because we also do a lot of clinical hours and get a lot of sticks. The facility where we are being trained has a high need for phlebotomists so we are pretty much guaranteed a job after we "graduate". Only catch is the shifts are mostly evenings/nights. Anyways, I agree with what most other people said, it depends on the needs in your area. Just check out the job listings and good luck!

hi

what facility are you talking about that guarantee a job after training. and yes phlebotomy can be very hard to find a job if you're fresh in the job market lol. i did mine over the summer for about $1300 still can't find a job yet...=/

The Red Cross is always looking for phlebotomists. Check your area for plasma donation centers. You may not get a job in a Hospital right away, but the donation places are always hiring. Work for them for a year, get your experience, then move on. Obviously working at a donor center is different than a hospital, but any experience is still experience. I got my phlebo cert as a part of my undergrad degree in Clinical Laboratory Science. Thankfully didn't have to pay 1K for it.

Archived