“I want a hangaburger mommy,” I implored my mother while tugging her pant leg. Being able to sit down with my mother and share a meal always brought a smile to my face—relaxing and enjoying  her company was sheer bliss. I had no other care in the world other than uncovering what toy was at the bottom of my happy meal. In the times that I was not allowed to see her, when her spot across the booth from me lay empty, my heart was broken in two.

I am twenty-three years old, and for twenty of those years I have been caring for my mother--who is mentally ill—but nonetheless is the most amazing, caring, and intelligent woman I have, and ever expect to meet. In the times that I was not allowed to see her, her spot across the booth from me lay vacant.

During those simple times we lived life with joy, clarity, and absolute purpose. No other sentiment better embodies this than Albert Einstein’s quote: “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” My mother, and all that I have experienced with her, have together culminated in my decision to pursue a life to help my community. There is no other role that I wish for more than that of a physician assistant to accomplish this goal.

Although I do consider myself to have had a fortunate upbringing, it may not be in the manner that most would expect. My childhood was littered with obstacles of diversity, and for that is spare no resentment. I am thankful. I believe I have gained a better understanding of human interaction and the love that entails with such connections that each makes. So although I may not spend everyday with a stressed, misunderstood schizophrenic mother, a disgruntled grandmother with alzheimer’s disease, or a grandfather that is ‘too stubborn to die’ from a heart attack, all of my patients have a family just like mine—therefore all of my patient’s are my family.

“Could you go get him? He’s in the car and not feeling well,” a concerned elderly lady asked me as she rushed into my Urgent Care. I spared no time—running through the alleyway, lifting a wheelchair up stairs to an idle car with a half-conscious man hanging an arm and a leg out of the door. From the moment I began lifting him and accompanying this sickly old man through the course of care, I couldn’t help but realize how real he became to me with every successive step.

Between his stubbornness in downplaying his pneumonia, and his wife verbally whipping him into allowing us to treat him—I couldn’t help but be reminded of my grandparents. This encounter, as every patient who has individually touched my every day, make me proud to say I have found my calling and am—and will continue—doing everything to make myself the most skilled, the most caring, and the most competent medical professional I can be.  Any number of people can be skilled at what they do, but it takes a special person to add in traits that I feel make a great medical professional: empathy, dedication, and ardor.  

I am that type of special person, and my realization of this was not a single moment that inspired my decision—I have been a healing touch all my life. My mother, my first ‘patient’ taught me as much. Of course there is more to life’s pleasures than a good meal and a toy, and for me another is being able to be front and center as a physician assistant—nurturing body and mind.

"Please explain why you are interested in being a Physician Assistant."

After reading this, I really have no idea why you want to be a PA. 

Anecdotes can make an essay great, but only insofar as they show something relevant...I would suggest finding stories that flesh out why you want to be a PA. If you use the ones you have, you'll need to redirect them toward answering the relevant question. 

Paragraph #5 comes across as overstated and melodramatic.

At the end of paragraph #6, you make some points that might be valid. Maybe you could take those characteristics, move them to the beginning, and use the body of your essay to show how you embody them.

In the conclusion, I would avoid explicitly telling the reader that you're special.

Good luck.

Yeah I definitely got caught up in trying to tell my story rather than to explain why I am pursuing the career.

I ordered things and tried to make my intentions clearer. Thank you for the input.

"Please explain why you are interested in being a Physician Assistant."

After reading this, I really have no idea why you want to be a PA. 

Anecdotes can make an essay great, but only insofar as they show something relevant...I would suggest finding stories that flesh out why you want to be a PA. If you use the ones you have, you'll need to redirect them toward answering the relevant question. 

Paragraph #5 comes across as overstated and melodramatic.

At the end of paragraph #6, you make some points that might be valid. Maybe you could take those characteristics, move them to the beginning, and use the body of your essay to show how you embody them.

In the conclusion, I would avoid explicitly telling the reader that you're special.

Good luck.

Archived