Feedback appreciated

Feedback (even harsh criticism) is welcome. I feel that it may be too "bland".. 

Sometimes, I think the saying “life is short” must be balanced with “life’s a long time”, which until recently I mistook as another widely used proverb. However, in many ways, life truly is extensive. The journey that lead me to realize my desire to become a Physician Assistant was not rushed, it was both deliberate and researched. I cannot single out one instance that lead me to realize that medicine and a career as a PA was the right choice, but many valuable experiences reaffirmed my desire to be in the field and I am excited to start formal training.

My career in medicine with a summer internship in a genetics lab at NIH. It was an invaluable opportunity, as it provided insights into a field I knew little about, and made me appreciate the critical link between scientific discovery and medicine. However, after three summers of being isolated in the laboratory, I realized that personal interaction and relationships were vital to my satisfaction and played to my strengths, so I decided to build on this research experience but pursue clinical opportunities that would allow me to work with others.

In college, I gravitated toward activities that allowed me to connect with people, from tutoring underclassmen in organic chemistry, to spending a summer backpacking and volunteering in Tanzania. The most valuable in regards to my career was the opportunity to design a grant-funded study working with Parkinson’s Disease patients. The project investigated whether a certain drug could alleviate dysfunction of the executive processing system, which often manifests as the disease progresses.  We were unable to complete the study, but designing it and administering neurocognitive assessments was my first taste of clinical research.  Working with patients during this project confirmed my interest in providing care, and spurred me to pursue a similar position after college.

At (name of hospital), I continued with clinical research, investigating the incidence of post-operative delirium following cardiac surgery. This position gave me the opportunity to combine my passion for neuroscience with my desire to connect directly with patients. In the process, I have broadened my skills in research and patient care and become familiar with the different roles of healthcare providers in the intensive care unit, the operating rooms, and outpatient clinics. I have come to appreciate how a patient’s recovery is dependent on the collaboration of the entire medical team, and have observed the integral role that PAs play in the perioperative management of these patients.

It was at (name of hospital) that I first learned about the vital role PA’s play on a medical team. I sought out PAs at different stages of their careers, in various specialties and backgrounds and learned that unanimously, they were very happy with their work, and enthusiastically supported the profession. Shadowing, I saw that they truly were indispensable and respected, whether harvesting a saphaneous vein during bypass surgery or carefully explaining how to bandage one’s nose after removing their stitches from a new skin graft. These healthcare professionals, closely aligned with the patient, have the role I have always imagined myself filling.

In the changing medical field, the PA plays a key role and is increasingly in demand, strengthening the quality of medical care patients receive.  The career requires you to be a lifelong learner and adapt as each patient presents new challenges and reacts to situations differently. Anything can happen, and that’s what I find exciting and motivating. Another aspect that drew me to the profession is the opportunity to constantly grow in my career. Although I would be happy finding a single medical specialty I am passionate about, I am drawn to a wide array of fields and enjoy learning new skills. As a lifelong learner, the opportunity to move between fields as a PA will allow me to maintain that identity and gain a variety of medical expertise while being a strong general practitioner overall.

Comprehensive care in any setting is reliant upon teamwork and collaboration. My ability to work with others was strengthened during my time as a member of an improvisational comedy group. Improv’s first lesson is that your goal on stage should be to support others in your group to enhance the storyline, instead of trying to give yourself the spotlight or punch line. This notion applies to the role of a PA; the overarching goal is to improve the patient’s health and recognize that collaborating with fellow providers is the most effective way to do so.

Life is a long time, and matriculation to PA school is an important milestone of my career in medicine.  I am eager to take this next step would be honored to join the ranks of the PAs I have met, to work as part of the medical team, and in the future, to help further this profession as it transforms with our changing healthcare system.

Archived