Anatomy standards of PA programs.

Pathoma has been on my to-do list for quite awhile but I'm currently brushing up on my cardio, which is more immediately relevant to my job in ER.

One thing that I didn't really anticipate after finishing school and getting a real job, is how much STUDYING I STILL NEED TO DO! (Or should be doing, instead of messing around online!!)

One undergrad course I will never regret taking is Histology, which is almost completely absent from the PA curriculum. Not sure how helpful it's been but it's cool to understand the tissue level organization of the body.

I really wish I took an immunology course. I'm currently making up for that deficiency by reading "How the Immune System Works" by Sompayrac. I'm still trying to understand clonal selection. Maybe primmadonna could point me towards some good resources!

Pathoma has been on my to-do list for quite awhile but I'm currently brushing up on my cardio, which is more immediately relevant to my job in ER.

One thing that I didn't really anticipate after finishing school and getting a real job, is how much STUDYING I STILL NEED TO DO! (Or should be doing, instead of messing around online!!)

One undergrad course I will never regret taking is Histology, which is almost completely absent from the PA curriculum. Not sure how helpful it's been but it's cool to understand the tissue level organization of the body.

I really wish I took an immunology course. I'm currently making up for that deficiency by reading "How the Immune System Works" by Sompayrac. I'm still trying to understand clonal selection. Maybe primmadonna could point me towards some good resources!

I think the books would be helpful for self-study/advancement (especially in rotations). In my pathology class, I have never cracked the book. Our professors are docs who sub-specialize in certain areas of pathology and come in and give killer lectures with amazing power points. We had one immunologist come in, but it was a four day lecture. We would need an entire semester of immunology to get a true appreciation for it. He mostly talked about the big autoimmune diseases and what not. Still a great set of lectures. Histology is non-existent as most of the stuff we see is gross observations. Sometimes they talk about the histological changes in cardiac tissues but for the most part its just gross cross sections and what not. Path is by far our easiest, but most informative and interesting class, next to physiology. Anatomy is well...how you can rote review. Not a big fan, to say the least. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon the necro of my own thread.

So I have Netter's cards now and I do like them and find them interesting, however I am surprised at the lack of detail for the nerve plexuses.  Of course, I have not even touched a card, but only review them online.

My undergraduate A&P text has both excessive anatomical information on the nervous system as well as organizing it in such a fashion that it isn't absorbable for me.  Ironically, in contradiction to the excessive anatomy, the physiology feels lacking to me, but that's my educational background so I guess it's no surprise.

I am finding that teachmeanatomy.info does a good job of presenting the extremity innervations in a readable fashion.

Processing Pathoma alongside my A&P material and given my laboratory background is extremely rewarding.

Pardon the necro of my own thread.

So I have Netter's cards now and I do like them and find them interesting, however I am surprised at the lack of detail for the nerve plexuses. Of course, I have not even touched a card, but only review them online.

My undergraduate A&P text has both excessive anatomical information on the nervous system as well as organizing it in such a fashion that it isn't absorbable for me. Ironically, in contradiction to the excessive anatomy, the physiology feels lacking to me, but that's my educational background so I guess it's no surprise.

I am finding that teachmeanatomy.info does a good job of presenting the extremity innervations in a readable fashion.

Processing Pathoma alongside my A&P material and given my laboratory background is extremely rewarding.

The nervous system is a major part of a PA anatomy class. It's tough to learn but there are many ways to get it. Netters atlas is the way to go. I have the cards and they are collecting dust. I use an atlas in the cadaver lab and it's reliable. Again it's all about how the class is taught. We had a lab practical today with embryo questions on it. Stupid as hell IMO but it's the way our professors do it. I'd just get your head and neck stuff down and everything else is manageable as the course goes. Head and neck is a different kind of animal.

Coming from a first semester PA student in the thick of gross anatomy, I wish I had studied medical terminology more seriously last summer.  I love my gross class, but man is it a lot of material.  If i had taken more time to get the nomenclature down, I think that would be saving me some time now.  Also, my Netters Atlas is my BEST FRIEND. I'll keep that highlighted, scribbled in book forever. The newest edition has nifty tables too!

Archived