Asking for a raise

I was a new grad may 2013 and started my current job in family practice in a small town in August. I took the job because it was close to home and since I was a new grad I didn't really feel like I had much room to negotiate but basically I am getting paid $28/hour for 40 hours a week. No on call. I get 12 days PTO 5 days for CME and $1000 toward CME. My health insurance is very good, but I don't get offered short term disability or 401k options for 2 years. I like the practice and my supervising physicians, but with student loans well over 120k I don't think I can afford to to stay there. I would like to ask for a better benefit package before I start looking for a better job, but I'm not sure if I should wait for at least a year to do so. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

$28/hour

wow that is low..... 

where are you located - have you looked up your area on AAPA data survey?  Did you look at this before signing the contract?

you are UNDER $60k per year!

I have NEVER earned less then $30/hour and I am a 2002 graduate........

you might have signed yourself into a corner.....

You need to talk to your SP or HR department and let them know that you have been putting more effort into looking at comparable wages are when you realized you could not afford to live on the salary you are getting after paying your loans.....  Give them a chance to make it a more reasonable pay since you are already there....  DO NOT tilt you hat and tell them that you are looking for a job - all this will do is hasten your departure......    work hard, do a good job, make them realize that they need you in the clinic and see if you can not get them to come around...

Guest Paula

Ten years ago I started out in Family Practice at $34 an hour part time and at $45/hr part time at an UC/ER.  Look for a new job.  Your employer has a sweet deal with your low salary and it will be hard to get you up to a PA wage.  I work in small town rural America so your employers should be able to pay you a lot more.....a heck of a lot more.

Learn how to negotiate before your next job and practice in front of a friend or family member so you will be comfortable asking for what you are worth. 

Yes I did a lot of research before applying for jobs and know that I'm getting paid horribly, but I didn't really know what to expect because all through school pas locally told me that this area is overall horrible for paying pas and when I interviewed I was told that the numbers online for pas are no where near accurate for this area and the range that was provided was $25-30. I know... Move lol but my husband has a good job locally so there are not a lot of options. Basically just wondering if I should wait until my 1 year anniversary here to ask for a raise

Wow. I can't fathom doing all that work, paying all that money and then getting paid so low. Your pay alone is a crime, your benefit package should get someone a prison sentence.

I would ask for a raise now. AAPA salary surveys are out, use that. I would work on the time off and the STD also. Avg cme is over 2K and should be more. Last time I checked it cost me the same as anyone else to book a flight and hotel room. The access to the 401k is ridiculous too. Most places offer nothing other than that for retirement now. You have to start contributing to that asap to get the compounding effect.

Accepting low ball offers like this dont help the person accepting, dont help others negotiate for better pay and dont help the profession.

One question to ask, if you moved and got paid more, would that make up for your husband's 'good job'? 

Good luck to you.

George Brothers PA-C

One of my receptor in PA school was in the same situation for 4 years after school. In a small community, seeing all the patients by herself, all the after hour phone calls then every other weekend for a prison call located 3 hours away. Was paid less than $65k and was fighting for gas milage. Her answer to why.. she wants to stay Iin the area and only job as the SP owns most of the clinics in neighboring communities as well. Sad to see that happening but happens more than not as she left the clinic now and a new grad took the job with less pay I heard..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now a year out but only 9 months into the position. I make the equivalent of 56/hr with one day of call a month included in that and loan repayment. Other bennies too. The point is, supply and demand. Get rid of the job's supply and they'll offer more when they need someone; the demand. I honestly wouldn't ask for the raise, bc I doubt they're going to come anywhere close to what you should be paid. Taotaox, the post above, wasn't kidding when they said nurses get paid better. Absolutely

Steve PA-C, Maine, urologic surgery

Its hurts the profession to settle for so little. I made 26 an hour as an RRT in 1995. Move. Come back later. In the name of your own profession, do things to promote it and join what is trying to be a united front. People really can move. Its a matter of settling vs self respect for what you have achieved.

Nurses get paid that or better. You are getting taken advantage of.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

With night differential as a NEW RN when I first started it was 33/hour and most nurses make 40+ (not even in Cali).

The OPs pay is garbage if i was offered that as new PA I wouldn't even quit my day job.

Archived