GPA and GRE: Admissions emphasis

I don't mean to begin this discussion giving off the notion that a student's GPA and GRE scores are always and should be at odds with one another (logically they would be congruent. As we know, this isn't always the case...); though, and I think many can probably identify with me, when a positive (somewhat subjective here) relationship doesn't really exist, how do admissions committees boil it all down?

For instance, I attended UNC Chapel Hill, where, arguably, it is more challenging than most schools to register a GPA that is run-of-the-mill in terms of where most accepted students stand. Yet, on standardize tests, I stand up relatively well. I also realize that it is impossible to evaluate this issue due to most schools differing in their admissions preferences, but I would still appreciate it if any students who, in the past, have interviewed with a program and were able to get an insider's take. Of course, even if you aren't a student with any interview experience, feel free to weigh in... I don't want to be discriminatory here.

Here is some food for thought:

UNC Chapel Hill Vs. Insert applicant

Cum GPA: 3.3

Sci GPA: 3.17

GRE: V [163] Q [160]

In my opinion and from what I can see about others that have been interviewed/admitted etc, I think when you have one better than the other, it compensates for the poorer one. I'm kinda like you, my oGPA is 3.35, sGPA, 3.45 but my GRE is 320. So in my book, it says that I have the ability to take standardized tests well, which PANCE is a fairly standardized test. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about your GPA, especially if you address it well and properly in your essay. And I get the feeling that there are programs that really value experience over scores, like South maybe. They got my app and sent out invite on the same day and I feel like it's because I have close to 40,000 hrs of experience as a medic.

From my experiences interviewing, GPA for most schools is far more important than GRE scores. The GRE is largely not relevant to the content of PA schools, and is often used by schools as a weed out tool or only because it is required for graduate admissions by the larger university that the school is a part of. I happened to do particularly well on my GRE, and it wasn't mentioned at any of the schools that I interviewed at.

mbalaban,

Wow. 40,000 hrs of experience as a medic could speak to your quality as an applicant nearly by itself, if you were to ask me.

And, yeah, I see where you're coming from. Solid experiences that build great personal attributes are certainly the most essential to being a worthwhile applicant, let alone a worthwhile person. So, without a doubt, those things come first.

All I can think to myself is that it must be some task trying to select the "right" candidates for a program. In the end, numbers serve as, albeit disputed, a way of separating some from the rest of the pack. Or, at least, are very significant factors in doing so, I'm led to believe. So, I guess the true challenge is trying to find those candidates who couple their grades/scores with some notable life experiences. I can only hope that I'm seen as one of 'em.

From my experiences interviewing, GPA for most schools is far more important than GRE scores. The GRE is largely not relevant to the content of PA schools, and is often used by schools as a weed out tool or only because it is required for graduate admissions by the larger university that the school is a part of. I happened to do particularly well on my GRE, and it wasn't mentioned at any of the schools that I interviewed at.

Fair enough. Thanks for your input.

I'd have to agree with you, though not entirely. I say this because, based on this logic, if I'm reviewing applications from two people, one of which has stellar grades, yet deficient GRE scores (for the sake of argument let's call it somewhere "below" average for accepted students), and the other of which has modest grades (again, let's say "below" average), yet stellar GRE scores, I'd be hard pressed to say the person with the awesome grades is always going to get my nod. Of course, this is extremely general and cannot be implemented for each case due to varying factors in the rest of the application package; but, given that all else is equal, I feel that what you're saying is limited.

Fair enough. Thanks for your input.

I'd have to agree with you, though not entirely. I say this because, based on this logic, if I'm reviewing applications from two people, one of which has stellar grades, yet deficient GRE scores (for the sake of argument let's call it somewhere "below" average for accepted students), and the other of which has modest grades (again, let's say "below" average), yet stellar GRE scores, I'd be hard pressed to say the person with the awesome grades is always going to get my nod. Of course, this is extremely general and cannot be implemented for each case due to varying factors in the rest of the application package; but, given that all else is equal, I feel that what you're saying is limited.

What I am saying may be limited. I am in fact only giving you my personal experiences with the situation that you described (which is exactly what you asked for). That being said, every school that I have asked about GPA and GRE scores has told me that GPA is much more of a factor in admissions than GRE scores. Certainly there are situations where someone has below average grades and great GRE scores (among other good attributes and qualifications) and is able to gain acceptance to PA school. However, from my experiences I know that an applicants chances of getting an interview at the places I visited and applied was better with a high GPA and low GRE that it would be with a low GPA and high GRE. As I said, my GRE score was never mentioned during my interviewing. However, my GPA and grades for specific courses were mentioned several times.

Archived